Zac may not like this, but I’m going to dredge up a part of his musical past.
Before Zac became a Wellington, he was the drummer and one of two main vocalists in a band called Sweetchuck. The band only ever released one EP (in 2003).
As far as I can tell – and unless Zac sends me an irate message telling me otherwise – the following track is the earliest instance of “Wellington Zac” (rhymes with “Saucy Jack“) singing on a commercial recording:
Sweetchuck – “Dude You Can Do That” (2003)
Incidentally, when I went looking for information about the band I found out five things:
- According to this 2002 interview, Sweetchuck is named after a cartoon character that was never designed. The band apparently didn’t name itself after a character in the Police Academy movies.
- Sweetchuck used to have a website (http://www.sweetchuck.live.com.au/) and a message board. The website’s gone but the message board still exists. I don’t know why.
- Sweetchuck wanted to reform last year.
- There’s a Swedish band called Sweetchuck.
- There’s a band called Sweetchuck in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. Their MySpace page address is possibly overly confident: http://www.myspace.com/fuckingreatband.