I like free association. It’s the reason today’s post exists.
This is how today’s post came about:
- Commenter Jon (Hi, Jon!) asked to hear a particular Split Enz song on the blog. He also mentioned that he had a bit of trouble with some of my older Split Enz posts, which prompted me to repair them.
- One of the old Split Enz posts highlighted the bass playing of Nigel Griggs.
- Nigel Griggs is one of my favourite bass players. I’d describe him as coming from the Paul McCartney school of melodic, fluid bass playing.
- Paul McCartney’s bass playing on Elvis Costello‘s “Veronica” is magnificent.
- “Veronica” appears on Elvis Costello’s album Spike.
- The opening track on Spike is “… This Town… “, and it has a jangly chorus that I adore.
- I discovered that I’ve never put “… This Town …” on the blog.
As a result of that free association, may I present to you:
Elvis Costello – “… This Town …” (1989)